Daly Basin, Northern Territory
Fish River Station, 23 April to 4 May 2012
Starting Monday the 23rd of April, the Fish River Station in the Top End will be blitzed by Bush Blitz.
The Bush Blitz team will take to the water and air to survey the plants and animals that inhabit this remote 178,000 hectare property - using boats and helicopters to access its waterways and wetlands, remote outcrops and savannah woodlands.
In recognition of its outstanding natural values, Fish River Station was last year purchased for conservation in a ground-breaking collaboration by the Indigenous Land Corporation (ILC), the Nature Conservancy and the Pew Environment Group with assistance from the Australia Government's Caring for our Country Initiative and support by Greening Australia. The ILC owns and manages the property.
The property's extensive range of habitats including long stretches of the Daly River - one of the Territory's few permanent streams - billabongs fringed by savannah woodland and pockets of rainforest rising to spectacular ranges make it a collection haven for biodiversity scientists.
A Waterfall found at Fish River Station and the Daly River, which borders Fish River Station. Both were taken by J Harding
The team will include scientists from the NT's department of Natural Resources, Environment, The Arts and Sport (NRETAS) including the Museum, Herbarium and Biodiversity Conservation branch, University of NSW, Australian National Herbarium and the Australian National Insect Collection. Indigenous rangers from the ILC will also assist with the Bush Blitz and a professional photographer will record the blitz and its many discoveries.
- Donna Lewis - NT Herbarium
- Ian Cowie - NT Herbarium
- Ben Wirf - NT Herbarium
- Christine Cargill - Australian National Herbarium, Canberra
- Stephen Richards - Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
- Dane Trembath - NT Museum Associate
- Gavin Dally - Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
- Dave Wilson - AquaGreen
- Michael Braby - Biodiversity Conservation (NRETAS)
- Stuart Young - Biodiversity Conservation (NRETAS)
- Celia Symonds - University of New South Wales
- Robert Raven - Queensland Museum
- Vince Kessner - research associate Australian Museum Sydney
- Nicole Gunter - Australian National Insect Collection
- Michael Hammer - Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
- Robert Whyte (Photographer) - Toadshow Productions